Saturday, December 19, 2009

THE GREAT GRAVEL ROADS OF NORTH AMERICA


In the past two years I drove most of the famous gravel roads in the north, namely:

Trans-Labrador Highway
Quebec and Labrador - from Baie-Comeau (actually, the gravel road starts at Manic-Cinq) to Red Bay.





Dempster Highway
Yukon and NWT - from Dawson (actually, the gravel road starts beyond Flat Creek) to Inuvik.






Dalton Highway
Alaska - from Fairbanks (actually, the gravel road starts beyond Livengood) to Dead Horse/Prudhoe Bay.






Top of the World Highway
Alaska and Yukon - from Tetlin Junction to Dawson.







Old Canol Road
Yukon - from Johnson's Crossing to Ross River.







Robert Campbell Highway
Yukon - from Ross River to Watson Lake







Liard Highway
NWT - from Fort Liard to Fort Simpson.







Mackenzie Highway
NWT - from Fort Simpson to Highway 1







I traveled alone
(except for the Trans-Labrador trip which I made with my friend Hynek), I drove my 1992 Toyota Tercel fitted with a small skid plate, and camped in my tent. The gravel roads are very quiet and, to me, they represent the best way to see the nature and to "get away from it all". I always have the most relaxing time while traveling the gravel roads.

Since there has not been much published about these roads, I decided to try and describe them before they are all gone, paved over and full of tourists.










No comments:

Post a Comment